If you have been diagnosed with acromegaly, your doctor may have determined that Sandostatin® LAR Depot (octreotide acetate for injectable suspension) is the right treatment for you. It is important to understand how Sandostatin® LAR Depot can help, so be sure to speak with your doctor about any questions you may have regarding your therapy.
You can print these questions, and bring them with you on your next doctor visit.
There are 3 sets of questions, depending on where you are in your treatment. You can ask your doctor:
- About Acromegaly and Treatment Options
- About Starting Sandostatin® LAR Depot
- About Maintaining Therapy with Sandostatin® LAR Depot
About Acromegaly and Your Treatment Options
If you have been diagnosed with acromegaly, your doctor may have determined that Sandostatin® LAR Depot is the right treatment for you. It is important to understand how Sandostatin® LAR Depot can help, so be sure to speak with your doctor about any questions you may have regarding your therapy. The following questions can help you start your discussion.
- What are the goals of my treatment for my acromegaly?
- How does my treatment with Sandostatin® LAR Depot help me reach these goals?
- What do you think is the appropriate dose of therapy to achieve these goals?
- Can my dose be adjusted?
- Am I eligible for the Mobile Administration Program?
- Are there any side effects of treatment?
- How often do I need this treatment?
- How long will I be on treatment?
About Starting Therapy
Before starting injections of Sandostatin® LAR Depot every 4 weeks, your doctor will start you on daily self-administered doses of immediate-release Sandostatin® (octreotide acetate) Injection. During this time, it's important to keep close tabs on your symptoms and any side effects you may experience. In addition, you may want to ask your doctor:
- Can I take Sandostatin® LAR Depot with my other medications?
- When should I expect to notice symptom relief?
- What happens if I don't experience symptom relief?
- When will my dosage be reviewed?
- What are my current growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) levels?
- What are my targeted GH and IGF-1 levels?
- Will you be scheduling any imaging tests for me?
- What side effects of therapy should I look for?
About Maintaining Therapy
If you're already receiving Sandostatin® LAR Depot, from time to time you may want to ask:
- Has there been any change in my condition?
- What dose of Sandostatin® LAR Depot am I currently on?
- Should my current dosage be reviewed?
- How long can I stay on Sandostatin® LAR Depot?
- What are my current GH and IGF-1 levels?
- What are my target GH and IGF-1 levels?
- Have I had any tumor recurrence?
- What were the results of my last imaging test, and will I require additional tests?
- Do I show any signs of developing gallstones?
- Do I show any signs of low or high glucose levels?
- Are there any lifestyle changes I should make?